Thursday, June 16, 2011

Last night I had an amazing opportunity to see new Glee cast member Darren Criss play a solo show in New York City at Irving Plaza.  The show was completely sold out and the place was packed.  At first we went upstairs thinking we could get a better view of the stage but turned out we could not see it at all.  I went downstairs to see if the view was better.  Good thing I did this because it was a lot better.  I was not able to see the entire thing but I was able to see a lot of it (more than what I would have been able to see from the balcony).

There were two openers.  The first was John West.  He was good but I do not know if his music was 100% my taste.  I believe he played for about a half hour.  Next up was one of Darren's friends from college and his name is Theo Katzman.  He was really good and more my type.  He was acoustic and solo which is right up my alley.  Theo only played for about 15 minutes.

At about 9pm Darren took the stage.  The place went crazy when he came out.  The crowd shifted so far up it was insane.  I felt bad for the people all the way up front who were probably being squashed.  The show was fantastic and Darren is a true talent.  He sang several of his song, some from his StarKid days, Glee songs, and a couple from when he did Harry Potter the musical.  I do not know if this is all the songs but here they are -

  • Human
  • One Fine Day
  • Sami
  • Teenage Dream
  • Part of Your World
  • Not Alone
  • Don't You
  • I Still Think
  • Stutter
  • The Coolest Girl
  • Valerie
  • Going Back to Hogwarts
  • Granger Danger
  • I'll Make a Man Out of You
If I am missing any please let me know!  He had the Warblers come out and sing "Teenage Dream" and "Sami" with him.  Naya Rivera (Santana on Glee) came out and sang "Valerie" with him.  Although I saw Glee Live last year I was all the way up top at Radio City Music Hall and it was hard to see faces but seeing her much closer last night I was able to see how pretty she is.  Yes, she is very pretty on television but it is completely different "in person."  For the two songs he sang from the Harry Potter musicals "Going Back to Hogwarts" and "Granger Danger" he had his friend and I believe co-star, in the play, Lauren Lopez come out on stage with him.  With each special guest the crowd got more and more excited.

I am pretty new to the whole "Darren Criss Fandom" so I did not know many of the songs he sang.  Usually when I go to a concert and I do not know the words I do not fully enjoy the show but this was far from the case.  I enjoyed every second of it and glad that I was able to attend the show.  I wish I was not so late to the game being as he played New York City last summer at venues I have attended.  But, I guess they say, "better late than never."

This Saturday I have the opportunity to see Glee Live and I am really looking forward to it.  

If you go to my YouTube channel you will be able to see a few videos I took last night.  

Here are a few of the photos.  For some reason they all did not load to my computer so I will have to do that at another time and post them for you to see.







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...