Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Favorite iPhone Apps

Here are my six favorite iPhone apps.  All are free so you don't have to worry about spending any money, well except to actually get an iPhone, which is completely worth it!

1. Foursquare - I have been using this app since about the time I got my iPhone, which was in December 2009.  The app has been around for a while but I didn't know about it.  If you have never used this app or never heard of it here is the quick lowdown.  You check into the venue that you are at.  With each check-in you obtain a certain amount of points.  If you are the most frequent visitor of a venue in a 60 day time span you will become the mayor of that location.  Certain venues you can obtain badges or even unlock certain specials.  American Eagle currently gives you 15% off your purchase when you check in and show the cashier that you have done so.   Crumbs bake shop offers a free medium coffee with your check in on a Friday and a free cupcake for the mayor of the location on Fridays as well.

2. Instagram - This is an app that I am fairly new too but I am in love with it.  It allows you to take a picture and add a filter to it.  You are able to connect this to your Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, E-mail, and Tumblr to name a few.  My favorite filter on Instagram is Nashville.  Have fun with your photos and download this app!

3. Orbitz - Yes, this is Orbitz as in the travel website.  If I am not able to get to a computer I will use this to find out prices for flights.  Most of the trips I have been on in the past 2 years or so I book via Orbitz.  Everything is in one place as far as travel documents go.  One of the great features of this website, although it has never happened to me, is if you book a flight today for $499 and the day that it leaves the price of the flight drops to $350, Orbitz will credit you the difference as part of their Price Assurance policy.  Go book a trip!

4. KICK Map - I do have a pocket subway map that I carry in my wallet and in case of emergency I can use it, although I do know the NYC subway system pretty well.  If I have my phone on and need a map I will open up this app for a quick peak.  It does not give me specifics or connections but it gives me ideas and from there I can use my knowledge of the system.

5. Words with Friends - I may not be all that good at this game but I do enjoy playing.  I usually only play it once a day because of time but there are some days where I can make a few moves in a game.  It is along the lines of Scrabble for those who do not know what it is.  Do you play this game?  Are we not playing against each other?  Leave a comment with your username and I will start a game with you.

6. Food Network - This is pretty self explanatory but for those who do not know I will let you know what it is.  Are you a cooking or baking junkie like myself?  Do you ever want to search your favorite Food Network chef recipe with the touch of a finger?  Download this app and you can get recipes from your favorites.  You can also take a look at photos from some of your favorite FN shows, get the schedule of shows for a particular day, and watch episodes of shows to name a few.  Save a tree and have all the recipes you could need 24/7.  My favorite chefs are Ina Garten and Anne Thornton.  Who are yours?

What are some of your favorite FREE iPhone apps?  I only say free so that people who have an iPhone and no money to spend on apps can download them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...